In the Prison

In the Prison

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A prisoner’s creed…

3/23/11
I can't begin to tell you how very committed these women are to completing their studies these past 28 weeks. Everything that I have asked of them, they have done and they have worked diligently to learn it all.
Last October, they were introduced to both the Apostle’s Creed and the Nicene Creed. They barely understood what their own beliefs were at that time. So we looked at the similarities and the differences in the two prayers and as part of their homework, I asked that they write their own creed. I told them, "Tell me what you believe and tell it to me in your own words."
They apprehensively tackled the assignment and brought their finished work to the next class. During that class, all were given the opportunity to read their creed outloud to the rest of the group. And all but RS were too shy to read what they had written. RS read her creed calling it a prisoner’s creed. We all thought it was very good and she was proud of what she had written. Then, I collected the assignments, sealed them in an envelope, and promised to give them back in March.
Last week as part of their homework, I asked them to write a new creed, but this time they were to reflect on all 24 of their homework assignments. They also had to read the chapter for this week which was titled "I Believe." I suggested that as they reviewed their homework, they could look for sentences in which they had written what they believed.
They were instructed to write what they believe now. Secondly, as part of this assignment, they would have to share their creeds with the group. I explained that a creed is something that we believe in. It is something we stand up for and hold as a truth. And as followers of Christ, it is something we should not be ashamed to say outloud. I also reminded them that I would be returning the creed they wrote last October.
In our lesson, each read their creed to the rest of the group. There was no shyness. There was no fear in saying what they truly believe. They were comfortable with what they wrote but more importantly they understood what they were saying. The emphasis on the words, the tone of their voices, even the gestures showed the feeling and the passion of what they believe about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary, the Saints, the Catholic Church and what God promises for them for the rest of their lives.
As I passed back the October creeds and they reread them, they were shocked by how different they were from the ones they just read.  They definitely liked what they wrote now a lot more. These "March creeds" matched more closely to what they truly believe. I can't share these personal creeds with you but one obvious difference was the length.  The "October creeds" were less than a page while the March ones were between 2 and 3 pages long. 
AB, MS and I were spellbound by the poetic and spiritual nature of their creeds, all different and all very wonderful. We all felt very blessed to be a part of their journey. 
Thank you Prayer Pals... I know your prayers are being heard and the Holy Spirit is taking a mighty hold of them. God bless you all... krr 

1 comment:

  1. We should ALL take the time to write our own creed. . .Thank you. I am learning so much with you as you prepare for Baptism and Confirmation. My prayers and love continue with you all.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. Comments of encouragement and prayer will be shared with the prisoners.